Dissecting Sundot Kulangot of Baguio

Monday, July 11, 2016

Sundot Kulangot

As a girl who grew up a "balikbayan" in Pangasinan, I always hear the word, Sundot Kulangot. There was this market vendor who suggested it. In Pangasinan, their delicacies are Tupig and Puto Calasiao. Since then, my hunt for Baguio's version started. It was only during my third time in Baguio that I was able to try it. Better late than never! :)

Sundot means pick.
Kulangot means a booger.

So what is Sundot Kulangot? It is a Filipino delicacy (as mentioned a number of times in this blog) that contains a small quantity of kalamay. Kalamay is a glutinous rice cooked in the presence of brown sugar and coconut milk. The small round coconut "kuno" shells encloses the amount of goodness. The shells are then held by cut bamboo sticks measuring in length for about 8 to 10 inches. For me, it may be a little version of Kalamay from Bohol.


Why Sundot Kulangot? Like a person who dials someone, the tacky soft texture must be taken out as if you are nangungulangot. Hahahahahahahahaha! Name someone who loves picking his nose. Toooot. Toot. Toot.

Kidding aside, if you read some of my posts, you would have guessed that protecting the environment runs on my blood. Nowadays, there is a green trend. The absence of plastics in its packaging is a thumbs up trait. The lesser the packaging, the better. In short, you can help preserve Mother Earth by choosing products with less packaging materials. Bawal ang plastic! No to plastics!

By the way, you should cut the red crepe paper.


I had fun scraping that sticky sweetness. However, I will choose another Filipino delicacy instead. Though I had fun, it took me a while. Probably, I am not a pro. I should master the kulangot skills first. Hehe! If there are novelty songs, then this one must come as novelty food.

P.S.
Pangasinan, my parents' hometown, be right back!



Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS